History

1929sm1865
The first Sabbath School, which later became the Emsworth United Presbyterian Church, was organized in 1865. Mr. James Fleming and Mr. James Gilleland started with a small number of girls and boys in the old stone school house which stood on the property where the Service Station is presently located at Ohio River Boulevard and Lowry Avenue. Sessions were held on Sabbath afternoon.

1869
Four years later, in 1869, through the efforts and enthusiasm of Mr. J.P. Fleming, 28 persons organized the Fleming United Presbyterian Church. Later the name was changed to Emsworth to correspond with the railroad station. For two years the congregation worshipped in a frame addition to the old stone school house and the sacraments were served by Supply Ministers provided by the Allegheny Presbytery.
1871

A chapel was built in the summer of 1871 on what is now Ohio River Boulevard near Orchard Avenue. At this time the church became a branch of the Mount Nebo Church United Presbyterian Church. The minister of the Mount Nebo Church devoted half of his time to the Emsworth Church.

1873-1891
In 1873, the church called its first full – time minister. Through this period to 1891, it grew to declare its independence and became a self – sustaining congregation. Increased membership necessitated moving into a larger building. Thus, the present structure was built on land which was given by a member of the congregation. This site was accepted because it was centrally located; a number of the members were involved in its construction.

1895
The dedication of the building was on January 17, 1895